6 Trusted Blu-ray Rippers in 2024
Ever wondered about the optimal way of preserving your Blu-ray collection in the digital age? The benefits of converting Blu-ray to digital are vast, but choosing reliable software is crucial. In 2024, the market offers numerous options, including free Blu-ray rippers. Can free software truly match up to the paid counterparts in ripping Blu-ray? This guide explores the significance of converting Blu-ray to digital and introduces you to reliable Blu-ray ripper software.
Part 1. What is a Blu-Ray Ripper
A Blu-ray ripper is crucial for enthusiasts who want to extract content from Blu-ray discs and store it digitally on their computers. When choosing the right Blu-ray ripper, several key criteria come into play:
- Free Blu-ray Ripper Options: Users often seek free Blu-ray ripper software to avoid additional expenses. Assessing the availability and reliability of free options is crucial.
- Compatibility with Mac: Mac users need specific solutions for ripping Blu-rays on their operating system.
- Preservation of Quality: The ability to decrypt Blu-ray protections while maintaining high output quality is vital.
- Full Feature Preservation: A top-notch Blu-ray ripper should preserve audio tracks, subtitles, and chapter menus to ensure a seamless and enjoyable movie streaming experience.
- Ripping Speed: Efficiency is key. A good Blu-ray ripper should accelerate the ripping process, preventing users from spending excessive time on the task.
- User-Friendly Interface: Accessibility is crucial, especially for beginners.
By considering these criteria, users can confidently select a Blu-ray ripper that aligns with their needs, efficiently delivering quality outputs and preserving the essence of their collections.
6 Trusted Blu-ray Rippers in 2024
1. HitPaw Video Converter: The All-In-One Media Solution
HitPaw Video Converter is a comprehensive DVD and Blu-ray ripper that supports ripping blu rays to 1000+ digitals with decent quality.Main Features:
- Rip blu rays to MP4, MKV, TS, MP3, and other 1000+ formats
- Play blu rays in the HitPaw player free
- Keep chapters and original audio track after ripping
- Diverse editing features included: Cut, Merge, Crop, Watermark, Filters, etc.
- Batch conversion at 120x faster speed
- 20+ other lightweight AI features included
Follow these steps to rip blu rays in HitPaw Video Converter:
Step 1:Launch the program after free installation. In the Convert tab, drag your blu ray disc directly to start the conversion, or use the 'Add Files' option to load your disc or folder.
Step 2:After importing the blu ray disc, you can preview the chapters, edit the meta info or play the blu ray in the program.
Step 3:Click the Convert all to option in the lower left corner to select an output format.
Step 4:Click the Convert All button to initiate the process with lightning speed.
Step 5:After conversion, you can access to the converted digital videos from the Converted tab.
MakeMKV is a free Blu-ray ripper compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. Its user-friendly interface ensures accessibility and can effectively remove the copy protection of AACS and BD+, preserving essential metadata in the process. While MakeMKV exclusively outputs in MKV format, it offers a seamless and straightforward approach to ripping Blu-rays.
- MakeMKV provides all its features without needing a license, making it an attractive option for users seeking a cost-effective solution.
- The software can handle two types of copy protection, AACS and BD+, ensuring a smooth ripping process for various Blu-ray discs.
- MakeMKV excels in preserving the structure of the original content, including chapters and audio tracks.
- With Windows, Mac, and Linux support, MakeMKV caters to a diverse user base.
- MakeMKV restricts output to MKV format, limiting the options for users who prefer alternative file formats.
- The software cannot decrypt region-protected discs, restricting its use for certain users.
- MakeMKV does not preserve subtitles during the ripping process, which may be a drawback for users who value this feature.
In summary, MakeMKV is a reliable and free option for Blu-ray ripping, particularly suitable for users who prioritize simplicity and the MKV format. However, its limitations, such as file size and lack of GPU support, should be considered based on individual preferences and requirements.
Handbrake, another free Blu-ray ripper available on Windows, Mac, and Linux, distinguishes itself with a range of features and open-source accessibility. While primarily designed for ripping homemade or unprotected Blu-rays, Handbrake allows users to output in MP4, MKV, and WebM formats, making it a versatile choice.
- Handbrake is free and open-source, appealing to users seeking transparent and community-driven software.
- Users can choose from three output formats - MP4, MKV, and WebM - providing flexibility in digital file choices.
- Handbrake offers default presets, streamlining the ripping process for users who prefer quick and easy configuration.
- In addition to ripping, Handbrake includes robust editing features, allowing users to customize their Blu-ray content before the ripping process.
- Handbrake struggles with handling copy-protected Blu-rays, limiting its use to homemade or unprotected discs.
- With its powerful features, the software may be overwhelming for users seeking a more straightforward and intuitive experience.
Handbrake provides a feature-rich experience for users looking to digitize their Blu-ray collections. Its versatility in output options and editing capabilities make it an excellent choice for users who prioritize customization and flexibility. However, limitations in dealing with copy-protected discs may steer some users toward alternatives based on their specific needs.
CloneBD positions itself as a straightforward Blu-ray ripping application with a user-friendly interface. While the full version comes with a fee, a limited free version is available. However, CloneBD's major drawback is its inability to handle encrypted Blu-ray discs, making it suitable only for users with unprotected discs.
- The paid version of CloneBD offers a range of file types for users to choose from, enhancing the flexibility of the ripping process.
- Users can access a limited free version of CloneBD, providing a taste of its functionality without needing a full commitment.
- To unlock the full potential of CloneBD, users need to pay a fee, making it less appealing for budget-conscious individuals.
- CloneBD needs to improve in handling encrypted Blu-ray discs, limiting its usability to users with unprotected discs.
CloneBD's simplicity and variety of output options make it attractive for users seeking a straightforward Blu-ray ripping experience. However, its inability to handle encrypted discs may discourage those with copy-protected media. Additionally, the fee requirement for the full version might prompt users to explore alternative options, especially considering the availability of other free Blu-ray rippers with similar capabilities.
VLC, known for its versatility as a media player, extends its capabilities as a free Blu-ray ripper. It caters to Windows and Mac users as open-source software, making it accessible to many audiences. While its primary function is media playback, VLC's ability to rip DVDs and Blu-rays adds another dimension to its utility.
- VLC remains cost-effective, offering users a free solution for Blu-ray ripping.
- Beyond ripping capabilities, VLC is a robust media player, supporting various video and audio formats.
- VLC can handle some encrypted Blu-rays, adding to its flexibility.
- Working with encrypted Blu-rays needs to be better documented, making it easier for users.
- Users may need faster ripping speeds, hindering efficiency.
VLC may only work with some Blu-rays, particularly when struggling with certain menus. VLC stands out as a dual-function software, excelling in media playback and offering free Blu-ray ripping capabilities. However, its limitations in dealing with encrypted Blu-rays and slower ripping speeds may impact user satisfaction.
6. DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper
DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper is a powerful solution for ripping Blu-rays, available for both Windows and Mac operating systems. Boasting compatibility with Windows 11/10/8/7 and Mac, this software offers many features, making it a top choice among Blu-ray enthusiasts.
- DVDFab supports over 1,000 video and audio formats, providing users with extensive options.
- The software ensures lossless quality during the Blu-ray ripping, maintaining high standards.
- DVDFab excels in removing various copy protections, enhancing its usability.
- Users benefit from efficient and speedy ripping processes, supporting batch operations.
- DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper does not support DVD ripping, limiting its scope.
- While a free trial is available, certain features, such as ripping to MP4/MKV and resolutions beyond 1080P, are restricted.
- The software comes with a price tag, and a premium subscription is required for resolutions higher than 1080P.
DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper is a comprehensive solution for enthusiasts, offering an extensive array of features with some limitations in the free trial version and pricing considerations.
Part 2. Which One is the Best Blu-Ray Ripper?
|DVD & Blu-ray Support
|Preserve Tracks, Subs, Chapters
|HitPaw Video Converter
|MP4, MP3, MOV, AVI, Various
|Windows, Mac, Linux
|No (Subtitles not preserved)
|Windows, Mac, Linux
|MP4, MKV, WebM
|Windows, Mac, Linux
|DVDs, limited Blu-rays
|No (Encryption workaround)
|No (Encryption not supported)
|DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper
|Over 1,000 formats
The Bottom Line
The Blu ray rippers we’ve recommended are capable of converting blu ray disc. Each of the tool have its pros and cons. The free blu ray rippers like MakeMKV and Handbrake supports limited formats and lack of support for the protected discs. The professional blu ray ripper HitPaw Video Converter supports converting blu ray to 1000+ formats up to 4K resolution. It utilizes full GPU acceleration to speed up the conversion process.