[Beginner's Guide] How to Become a Voice Actor in 2023
In the ever-evolving world of entertainment, become a voice actor in 2023. In this guide, we will explore the exciting world of voice acting and provide you with valuable insights on how to become a voice actor in 2023.
Whether seasoned or aspiring, equip yourself with knowledge and resources to make your mark in voice acting this year.
What is Voice Acting?
Voice actors may now be heard in video games, audiobooks, Saturday morning cartoons, and even virtual assistants like Siri and Alexa. But how can you enter into the voiceover industry? This article will help you through the whole process of becoming a voice actor, from discovering voice acting gigs and casting calls to generating your first voiceover demo reel.
Voice acting is a form of performing arts where actors use only their voices to bring characters to life in various mediums such as animated films, television shows, video games, commercials, and audiobooks. It involves using vocal skills, tone, inflections, and emotions to convey the personality, traits, and emotions of a character without relying on physical presence or visual cues.
[6 Ways] How to Become a Voice Actor
Do you enjoy using your voice to bring characters to life? Do you aspire to be a professional voice actor? In this thorough tutorial, we will look at six practical techniques to get started on your path to a successful voice acting career. We'll cover everything from sharpening your talents to seeking jobs in the business.
- 1.Hone your craft: Real acting needs practice, and voice acting is no exception. While not every successful voiceover artist had formal training, many worked with an acting coach, a voice coach, or both. Listening to seasoned VO (voiceover) specialists may also be quite beneficial.
- 2.Consistent practice: Learning a talent or reading a script isn't a one-and-done exercise; you'll need to practice consistently—ideally every day—during your voice acting career. At home, read scripts and copy, then listen to your recordings and consider how you may improve. Regular rehearsal is essential for creating a professional voice that will appeal to both audiences and casting directors.
- 3.Discover your specialty (or niches): Do you want to do voiceover work for cartoons, video games, commercials, narrative projects, movies, or other forms of media? Don't worry—it's great if you don't want to limit yourself, but you must begin somewhere. You might not be able to start your career with your first pick; consider where you want your career to go, especially when honing your voiceover abilities and studying the work of famous voice actors.
- 4.Create a voice acting demo reel: Your demo reel serves as your portfolio as a voice actor; therefore, recording a quality reel is essential—even if you don't currently have professional VO experience.
- 5.Audition frequently: The best strategy to get voice acting gigs is to audition for them. While you should avoid auditioning for roles that aren't a good fit for your abilities or voice type, you should set objectives for the quantity of jobs you want to apply for on a regular basis.
- 6.Don't forget to network: While it is possible to acquire employment based just on skill, having an active professional network may be quite beneficial. Remember that networking is a two-way street: while your contacts may be able to assist you, you should also endeavor to assist them whenever possible.
[Make Your Choice] Types of Voice Acting
Most people associate voice acting with animated films and television shows, but there's a lot more to it. Audiobooks, documentaries, advertising, video games, and even virtual reality are all examples of voice acting.
Animated TV: is most certainly the most frequent kind of voiceover acting. Consider children's programming on networks such as Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and PBS—each and every one of those adorable, colorful characters has a voice actor behind them.
Audiobooks: Due to digital platforms such as Audible, audiobooks have recently experienced a surge in popularity. Although some novels are read by the author, other productions use voiceover actors to play different roles and bring the drama and action to life.
Movies: Voiceover talent is frequently sought after for large animated productions such as Pixar's "Finding Dory" and Disney's "Moana." With the incredible developments in CGI and green screen technology in movies, voice actors like Andy Serkis have become ubiquitous in the roles of CGI characters, as shown in "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."
Documentary television and film: We get it: "Planet Earth" narrator Sir David Attenborough is your favorite documentary narrator. From the prestigious to the pulpy (as if Investigation Discovery's melodramatic gotcha narrations aren't enough! ), it takes a skilled voice actor with a controlled cadence, perfect pronunciation, and theatrical chops to truly sell a documentary as it's put out.
Commercials: When was the last time you heard an ad without a voiceover? One of the most effective methods to promote a product or service is to layer information about the product over an image—and guess who offers the voiceovers? That's correct! Voice actors who are professionals
Computer games: The greatest video game releases in a given year are just as buzzy and highly anticipated in some circles as the year's biggest blockbusters, and the voice talent behind these gamers' cherished avatars is just as adored.
Multimedia: This leads us to what is maybe the most intriguing frontier in voice acting: multimedia entertainment. We live in an era where VO and VR are merging; as virtual reality technologies extend their effect on the game industry, so are the chances for voiceover performers worldwide.
[Get Started] How to Get Voice Acting Jobs
Are you passionate about lending your voice to animated characters, commercials, video games, or audiobooks? Do you dream of becoming a professional voice actor and captivating audiences with your vocal talents? If so, you've come to the right place! In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the essential steps on how to get voice acting jobs and start your journey in the exciting world of voice acting.
Use Online Casting Platforms
An online casting network like Backstage may be a helpful resource for finding voice acting auditions, especially in the early stages of your career. Of course, without an agency, landing high-profile employment is more challenging. Backstage may help you get those early credits that will offer you experience in the recording studio (and, ultimately, boost your chances of gaining a voice acting agency). Our talent agency database may help you narrow down your possibilities for representation, and the Community Forum allows you to interact with other aspiring or professional voice actors for assistance.
Most importantly, signing up for Backstage gives you access to our voiceover casting notifications. Each one is classified according to the sort of production, salary, location, age range of talent sought, and so on. You may also filter search results depending on your choices. When you locate a project that interests you and fits your profile, look for information on how to submit—or, if in-person auditions are being held, timing for the open call or extra information on how to book a time with casting will be accessible.
Backstage offers a variety of subscription choices, including yearly and six-month web content and weekly print magazine subscriptions, as well as six-month and monthly web-only memberships.
Network Within The Industry
Networking is also vital for advancing your career in most creative sectors, including voice acting. Connecting with other voiceover performers and industry professionals at conferences throughout the country is one way to do this.
[Bonus Tip] Image What You Be like As a Voice Actor
In some circumstances, voice cloning may generate a voice that sounds similar to the original but has subtle deviations or artificial features. HitPaw Voice Changer may be used to change the voice to a more realistic one. It is well-known for its wide capabilities and usefulness as a voice changer program.
- Create sounds that sound genuine and similar to real human voices.
- Real-time voice conversion to the most realistic and natural voices.
- Imitate renowned characters, celebrities, or memorable voices in an instant.
- Streamlabs OBS and other Streaming platform Integration.
- Include a user-friendly interface that is simple to use and navigate.
Here're easy steps that how you can use HitPaw Voice Changer.
1.Go to "Settings", and click the drop-down button to select the input and output you are using. Then adjust to the volume you prefer.
2.Choose the effects you prefer and try speak into the microphone to listen to the transformed sound of your voice.
3.Adjust the sound effect in the sound settings,you can adjust volume, pitch, timbre of the sound. Then Turn on the "Voice Changer", "Hear myself" and "Noise Reduction" on the buttom.
4.After choosing the effect, simply click the "connect" to changer your voice on other platforms like Twitch, Discord, Steam, etc.
To become a voice actor in 2023, you need to hone your craft by practicing acting and voice skills, consider working with coaches, and learn from experienced voiceover specialists. Also, you can use HitPaw Voice Changer to have a try.