iOS 14 Picture in Picture Video – A Complete Guide for Beginners to Follow
The Picture in Picture mode is becoming famous day by day due to its amazing functionalities. First, it was seen on the iPad, and now you can see this element in iOS 14 as well. This iOS 14 Picture in Picture feature allows users to watch different videos, attend FaceTime calls, and much more.
Want to know more about iOS 14 picture in picture mode? This guide is just for you.
1. What is the Picture in the Picture iOS 14
Most of us have to face different issues while making conversations and watching videos simultaneously. However, many apps have been created that enable users to manage things on the small screen, but using the PiP feature would be a new experience.
Undoubtedly, this function allows you to do several things simultaneously, such as you can chat with friends, while watching videos on YouTube, and even can see your favorite movies.
Since this feature is available on iOS 14, it means you can easily integrate it on your iPhone devices. In addition, the devices that are compatible with it are iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, and much more. Let’s have a look at where this mode can work and how you can use it on your iPhone devices.
Apps that Support Picture in Picture
The devices that support Picture in Picture mode include Amazon Prime Video, Apollo for Reddit, Apple TV, Cake Web Browser, and much more. You can easily enable this function on these devices. However, according to the latest list, it is also available for YouTube, but only for the premium version. The apps that allow this feature to work are as follow:
- PBS Video
- Pocket: Save. Read. Grow.
- Shazam: Music Discovery
- SHOWTIME: TV, Movies and More
- Showtime Anytime
- Spectrum TV
2. How to Use Picture in Picture in iOS 14
Here are the complete instructions that will help you to use picture in picture in iOS 14.
(1) How to Enable Picture in Picture
There are many ways to enable this feature on Android, iPhone, and Web. However, keep in mind that you have to follow different methods to complete the process. For Example, for the web, you can use it on Safari, and for App, you have to follow the method mentioned below.
(2) On App
Not only does it can work on iOS 14, but you can also enable it on different apps such as Apple TV and many more. However, keep in mind that sometimes you have to implement the feature too to get this function.
Here are the steps that you can follow to enable PIP mode on App.
- To open it on Apple TV, all you have to do is double-tap using your fingers, swipe upward to enable the application. Isn’t it simple?
- In case you want to exit it, you can do it easily by double-tapping the same icon. In this way, you will easily exist on the screen. You can also tap on the X option to exit fast.
- Once you are done with using the PIP function, you can easily control things such as you can tap on the screen to skip the 15 seconds videos.
(3) On Web
In case you are using Safari apps, then it will work easily. Also, the best part is that you don’t have to implement it at all. Below are the steps that you can follow to enable PIP mode on the web.
- Open the video on the web.
- Now tap the video, and also the icon to open the Picture in Picture feature. You can also use your two fingers to double-tap the video.
- After that, you will see that your video is playing in the PIP mode.
Note: This process will not work for all video types. So, you have to tweak them before applying this mode. The videos that are compatible with it can be from YouTube and Vimeo.
(4) Change Size & Position
If you want to change the PIP window size's size, here is what you can do.
- You can use pinch gestures, and it will allow you to select three different sizes, such as small, medium, and large.
- The small video will allow you to open two different app icons; the medium is for three apps, and the last one, which is a large window, is for opening eight different apps.
- You can easily open all the windows on landscape orientation. However, make sure that you are adjusting the things according to your screen requirements.
(5) How to Move Off from Screen
This can possibly be done by pulling the PIP window using the drag and drop option. You would be able to hear the videos' sound, but it won't be available on your screen. So, if you want to move off your screen, you can easily use the gesture feature to continue the process.
3. What are the Limits of the Picture in Picture in iOS 14
This feature is good, but the only limitation is that you can only apply it to videos. As compared to other devices such as Android, the PIP function can also work with Google Maps. Therefore, if you are using iOS 14, then you can’t use this feature for any other app except videos.
4. How to Play Picture in Picture Videos with YouTube
This feature allows you to watch a video on your small screen. In this way, you can easily do other things such as you can chat with your friend, play games, and much more. If you are looking for a process to play PIP videos on YouTube, here is the guide you can follow.
First, launch the shortcut app on your device. Once it is done, you can click the plus (+) option to create a new shortcut. In this way, you can easily create unlimited shortcuts.
Now click the "Add Action," and you will see different options such as Apps, Favorites, and more. Choose the “Web” option.
You will see another screen saying Run On Web Page. You can select the option "Web Page," and after that, you can choose the "Shortcut Input" option.
Here you have to implement the code. Don’t worry because it is a simple process. All you have to do is remove the old code and paste the code given below.
- let v = document.querySelector('video'); v.addEventListener('webkitpresentationmodechanged', (e)=>e.stopPropagation(), true); setTimeout(()=>v.webkitSetPresentationMode('picture-in-picture'), 3000); completion()
Once you are done with the code, now you can tap the three dots icon. You can see the option at the corner of the screen. It will allow you to add the name to your shortcut. To open the option, click on "Show in Share Sheet" to continue the process.
Now, you have to select the option “Share Sheet Types” to deselect the things you don't like. Now, return to the “Details” screen and click the “Done” option.
- Once you are done, click the “Done” option to complete the process.
So, whenever you want to use the Picture in Picture feature on the web, you can simply use this method without buying the premium subscription.
iOS 14 picture in picture mode is good, but sometimes you have to face different issues while implementing the code. Anyways, the good news is that this feature can be worked easily on the web without buying the premium subscription.